Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Triathlon Training: You Should Still Make Time To Hit The Gym.

Triathlon training can be time-consuming, especially if your goals are the longer endurance events like half-ironman (70.3) and Ironman distance racing.  A ton of triathletes seem to train as if they keys to triathlon success are just doing a lot of swimming, biking and running.  Yes, you do have to put in the time in order to get the to the finish line.   But in the winter off season, a little variety in your training can be a great way to hit the mental "refresh" button.  

I like to head back into the gym and do a more strength training and a little yoga in the winter. Sure, these are things we should probably be doing all year round but when our outdoor training and racing schedule is so short, we have to ride and run when the sun shines and the weather allows.  Come fall and winter, it's time to head back to the gym and spend some quality time there.  I thought I'd share some of my favourite gym workouts with you for a few reasons:

1.  I'm often training on my own so I need movements that I can safely do without a spotter.
2.  If I find myself with 30 or 40 minutes to spare, I want to get the most out of them.
3.  I follow a few pro cyclists, triathletes, swimmers and coaches on social media and there are some pretty common weight training exercises that they all do so it's clear that the basics are a pretty good start.
4.  These are all things I do to be a stronger cyclist, runner, swimmer or triathlete.

The Basics - The Exercises That Show Up In Most Strength Training Routine for Triathlon & Cycling


-  Deadlifts
-  Squats
-  Lunges
-  Bench Press or Military Press
-  Pull Ups or Pull Downs
-  Rowing
-  Bicep Curls
-  Tricep Press

However, there are lots of barriers to entry when it comes to hitting the gym to do a quality strength workout:
1.  Form is critical on most or all of these exercises in order to both prevent injury and to maximize the benefits of strength training.  So, if you are new so strength training or to anyone of these moves, make sure you have a qualified person there to guide you through There are lots of free weight and machine variations of all of these so I find there is always something I can do when I train on my own.
2.  As for how to put it all together, there are tons of training protocols in terms of the number of sets and reps and the amount of weight you should be lifting in order to achieve a goal.  I focus more on work that helps develop strength and stability for swimming, cycling and running.  The basic list above will work, for sure.
3.  Then, just doing something is better than doing nothing so, I often put together a workout while I work, based on what equipment is available. If the gym is busy, I like the flexibility of not having to stick to a specific plan. I just sort out what's piece of equipment are free and make it work, trying to get in about 15 to 20 sets in total, that can be 6 or 7 exercises of 2 or 3 sets each.  Just make it worth your while!



Disclaimer: Your results may differ!


As with any exercise routine, obviously safety is important and you should never workout on unfamiliar equipment.  Consult with a qualified expert and get the proper training in order to make your trip to the gym productive and safe.   Anything I've outlined here is intended only to provide an example of what I've found works for me and is not in any way intended to be formula or guarantee for any intended result.  Be strong and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment