Wednesday, October 17, 2018

It's Time To Hit The Gym - Part II - A Short Workout To Make The Most of A Short Gym Session





As endurance athletes, we're used to spending long hours training and it's easy to get caught up in the mindset that more is better or that, if you aren't spending hours in a training session, it's not enough.  Well, you (and I) couldn't be more wrong.  One set I picked up during a gym session a few years ago was the 100 rep workout.  It's simple and it doesn't take a lot of time or equipment but, believe me, if you do it right, you'll know you had a workout.  Here it is:  Pick one exercise and do 100 reps.  Break it down  into sets of 8 to 12 reps in each set with a weight that is near max effort for 12 reps while maintaining proper form throughout all reps in all sets.


The 100 Rep Workout

The key to making The 100 Rep Workout is to use it for exercises that engage major muscle groups sand/or use the whole body.

Leg Press
If I get the gym and it's pretty busy, I can usually count on being able to do a leg press workout somehow, either on a machine or a sled.   And then, I just stick it out for something in the range of 100 reps.  Between sets, I can let someone else work in or I do some standing stretches, some mobility work or get some water.  I hate to be rude to others but I sure do avoid wandering too far away and risk losing my spot.
I do make the workout count.  I will use a heavy enough weight that each set will hurt a bit.  You might surprise yourself with what you can do - just listen to your body but challenge it a bit.
So, the actual workout then is pretty simple: do 100 reps, usually as 10 sets of 10 reps each.  For variety, I sometimes finish off a leg press workout with a drop set if I'm on a machine with plates.  I'll do 70 to 80 reps and finish off with a drop set.  For the drop set, I start at the same weight I've been using, do 8 to 10 reps at that weight, drop a plate and do 5 more, drop a plate and do 5 more - continue until there are only 2 or 3 plates left and then it's done.

Dead Lifts
I usually do this one on a squat rack but you can use dumbbells or kettle bells so I can usually guarantee I can work this one  it.  The weight I use here will be one that makes it challenging to do 10 sets of 10 reps each.  I often do this one after a short, easy run (just 20 to 30 minutes).

Bench Press
I have to admit that I probably don't do this one enough. Yes, if done properly you are engaging core and getting in some great strength and shoulder stability work. Unfortunately, at the gym I go to, the machines for these are in high demand and since I'm usually doing weight training on my own, I don't feel comfortable with the bar/bench set up. If the opportunities or setup at your gym are different, this is another great set.  And, in a perfect world, I'd do Leg Press and Bench Press in the same workout, going back and forth between the two - 10 leg press, 10 bench press and repeat.  I rarely get the equipment to available to get through this one but it is a dream workout- simple, effective, doesn't take too long.

You can find as many excuses to avoid gym sessions as there are triathletes out there but if you make is a priority, your results will speak for themselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment