Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Triathlon Training In The Winter? Time To Hit The Gym

Triathlon training can be time-consuming, especially if your goals are the longer endurance events like half-ironman (70.3) and Ironman distance racing.  A ton of triathletes seem to train as if they keys to triathlon success are just doing a lot of swimming, biking and running.  Yes, you do have to put in the time in order to get the to the finish line.   But in the winter off season, a little variety in your training can be a great way to hit the mental "refresh" button.  

I like to head back into the gym and do a more strength training and a little yoga in the winter. Sure, these are things we should probably be doing all year round but when our outdoor training and racing schedule is so short, we have to ride and run when the sun shines and the weather allows.  Come fall and winter, it's time to head back to the gym and spend some quality time there.  I thought I'd share some of my favourite gym workouts with you for a few reasons:

1.  I'm often training on my own so I need movements that I can safely do without a spotter.
2.  If I find myself with 30 or 40 minutes to spare, I want to get the most out of them.
3.  I follow a few pro cyclists, triathletes, swimmers and coaches on social media and there are some pretty common weight training exercises that they all do so it's clear that the basics are a pretty good start.
4.  These are all things I do to be a stronger cyclist, runner, swimmer or triathlete.


The Basics - The Exercises That Show Up In Most Routines I've Looked AT


-  Deadlifts
-  Squats
-  Lunges
-  Bench Press or Military Press
-  Pull Ups or Pull Downs
-  Rowing
-  Bicep Curls
-  Tricep Press
There are lots of free weight and machine variations of all of these so I find there is always something I can do. 

The Extras - Exercises That Use Everything

-  Renegade Row
-  Sled Pushes (love, love them! You can do more weight than you think.)
-  Box Jumps
-  Core Work
-  Kettle Bell Swing

As for how to put it all together, there are tons of training protocols out there in terms of the number of sets and reps and the amount of weight you should be lifting in order to achieve a goal but I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.  For one, just doing something is better than doing nothing so sometimes, I just wing it.  Secondly, if the gym is busy, I like the flexibility of not having to stick to a specific plan. I just sort out what's piece of equipment are free and make it work.  Generally, I try to get in about 18 to 20 sets in total, that can be 6 or 7 exercises of 3 sets each or it can be 4 or 5 movements with 4 or 5 sets each.  Just make it worth your while!  Here one of my 'Go To' sessions for the gym. I try to do this one about every second week.


Turf Workout

When the free weight area  is busy, I often head to the sleds and just stay there. This will be a lower body focused day but every muscle in your body will work in this session.  I like to pair exercises and move between them with rest only after each pair, not between each set.
Pair #1
Renegade Row & Sled Pushes
I like to do 5 or 6 sets of each with this one.  For Renegade Rows, I to 5 o 8 reps per set with a moderately heavy weight.  I usually start with 8 reps and reduce it by one for each set as 8/7/6/5/4 reps for a total of 4 to 5 sets.
For Sled Pushes, I don't mess around with just a few plates. I load it up with 2 or 3 45-lb plates for the first set and then add a plate each set until I get to about 5 plates.  You never know your limits until you try.
Pair #2
Walking Lunges & Box Jumps
For walking lunges, you can use kettle bells, dumbbells or plate so there is usually enough equipment in any gym to do this one. And if your gym doesn't have enough space for walking lunges, just to stationary ones. Or you can try stationary lunges with direction variation (front, side, back, even up on a short box).  Mix it up to give your body some variety.   For walking lunges, my favourite variation is to hold a weight plate over my head with straight arms.   I find I really have to hold my core engaged for this one which makes it more of a challenge than the amount of the weight would suggest.  I like to walk 4 or 5 steps out and the same 4 or 5 steps back and it is a really nice challenge to maintain correct form and stability on the turn.  I go right into a set of 5 to 10 box jumps on a 24" box.  You might not see anyone else doing these and you'll know why after a few sets.
Last set:  Core & Stretch
3 or 4 sets of Dead Bug or Bird Dog paired with a few yoga stretches like Downward Dog and Pigeon is how I finish off this workout.  
That's it.  Trust me - you've done enough!  

As with any exercise routine, obviously safety is important and you should never workout on unfamiliar equipment.  Consult with a qualified expert and get the proper training in order to make your trip to the gym productive and safe.   Anything I've outlined here is intended only to provide an example of what I've found works for me and is not in any way intended to be formula or guarantee for any intended result.  Be strong and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment