Thursday, November 14, 2019

How To Get Faster In The Swim, Bike & Run - This Trick Really Works!

I got you to read this far so clearly that got your attention.  Swim, bike & run training has one thing in common with diet trends:  people are often looking for that quick fix, that trick, that will give them big results with just a little something.  Unfortunately, there is no quick fix, there is no trick, there is no instant miracle to gain more speed with no extra effort.  At least, you won't find it here and I certainly haven't found it yet.   But if you want to get faster in the swim, there is something you can do.


The 'Trick'

So, here's the 'trick' I read in an article on TriSwimCoach.com (which inspired this article):  in order to swim better, you should swim more.  Yup, that's it.  No surprises, no tricks, just more work.  They explain it very well and succinctly:  form declines during a workout or a race for one of two reasons:
  1. You've reached the limits of your endurance. 
  2. You've lost your focus and your form falls apart as your mind wanders.

The training effect from more swimming, biking and running will build your endurance so you can maintain form for the duration of your event.  Or doing yoga, rowing or climbing for that matter.

Do Quality Workouts 

As for mental focus, there is a technique that will work and will help kick up your fitness level at the same time:  mix it up with intervals.  Quality workouts not only break up the tedium of a longer set or session that causes mental drift but it also tests your physiology and ups your fitness levels.  There are decades of studies and evidence to support this so trust the science and do the harder work.   I've always said:

More isn't necessarily better; better is better.

If your next question is what intervals to do, consider these points:
  1. Intervals are just durations of time over and under a certain benchmark.
  2. How long you spend over and how long you spend under that benchmark will test different thresholds.
  3. Harder intervals will be shorter and require more recovery relative to a less stressful interval.
  4. You can get scientific and test VO2Max, heart rate limits, even FTP (Functional Threshold Power) on the bike but even without testing to figure out what your benchmarks are, you know what 'uncomfortable' means and know how to get your body there.
  5. You can also get scientific in determining which type and duration of intervals to do when and in what discipline but, even without all that technicality, just doing something is better than doing nothing.
  6. With intervals, failure is an option. If you get there, you know you'll have tested your limits.
Summary:  Do at least one challenging interval workout in each discipline each week.  It almost doesn't matter what you do and when you do it as long as you get started.  That is the only real trick.

Tips To Keep It Interesting

Here's my last list for today.  Here's what I've found works for me:
  1. For swim workouts, I always have a plan for pool sessions.  I find it too boring to just do mindless laps so I always break it up into sets with different intensities and durations.
  2. Ditto for treadmill workouts on the run.  I run on the treadmill a lot, a lot, in the winter. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and I don't like cold weather. I am a total weather wimp.  Even a short 30 minute run will be broken up with changes in incline and speed.
  3. I ride 3 to 4 times a week indoors and most of those will be interval based, and at least 2 of those sessions will have high-intensity sets. It kills me but the sessions are short so I don't spend a lot of mindless hours on the trainer. For indoor training, I always choose quality over quantity always on the bike. ("Quality" doesn't mean hard all the time. It means the right thing at the right time.)
  4. I ride on Zwift and have a few new followers every week. Now that I know I am part of a new tribe on Zwift, I know any of them can check up on me to make sure I'm still working hard.  I find that level of accountability motivating. I want to keep getting "Ride On"s from my people.
You find the system that works for you and hopefully some of my 'tricks' will give you some ideas.
(If you want more suggestions, even some of my specific workouts, you know all you have to do is ask!)


Thank you!

There are so many blogs out there talking triathlon, cycling & swimming, covering issues ranging from training to gear to motivation.  Seriously, if read them all, you'd never have time to train.  How you found me,fact, I'm not sure but entirely thankful that you've taken the time to find us here and read along.  Thank you for reading this and I hope you found something you can use to add spice to your training diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment