Tuesday, November 12, 2019

We All Need Help Sometimes - 10 Lessons Learned On The Way To An Ironman

We all need help sometimes. I've had lots of help in the past.

Here's a summary:
  • I've had a few triathlon coaches in the past. I still do some of the key workouts I picked up along the way.
  • I've bought packaged online training programs.  
  • I've taken fitness classes at the gym.
  • I've trained with different masters swim groups.
  • I've worked with a personal trainer who understood my goals.
  • I've studied sports nutrition to be more informed about the true science of nutrition.
  • I've taken triathlon coaching courses.  
  • I've engaged in self-study beyond training courses.  Investing time, effort and sometimes a few dollars in your own education will never be a waste of any of those resources.  
  • I've fretted over potential race results until my husband told me no one cares how I do in any race.  It was a revelation that took a ton of stress away. 

Does it make me sound flakey that I haven't stuck with coaches, classes or a trainer forever?  I don't think so. My goals changed and my needs changed as I transitioned from one phase to another. There was a time where I was a pretty competitive triathlete (insert spit take here from anyone who trained or raced with me back then who remembers the focused, bitchy competitor that I was).  Life got busy, time for training became shorter and, to some extent, my body needed a bit of a break, physically, mentally and emotionally.  Quite honestly, I'm ready to get back to it physically but I'm not sure my head is in the same space and that's OK.


The point I'm trying to make is that we shouldn't be hesitant or afraid to change what we're doing when our goals change.

  • Maybe the challenge is to recognize when it's time to move on and try it another way.  
  • Maybe something pivotal happens that brings about that awareness.  

There are lots of maybes but the point is that sometimes it's time to move on.

Where do you go?   That's your question to answer.  But moving on doesn't mean abandoning the principles that worked in the past. Takeaway lessons from good training experiences will serve you well in ways you might not anticipate.

  1. Identify your core workouts, the ones that work, and stick with them. You can vary them up a bit, but they aren't fancy, they aren't a magic bullet and they aren't easy.  They just get the job done.  I still do some of the key workouts prescribed by a few of my former triathlon coaches. (Truthfully, most of the 'keepers' are from one coach - TLM, you know who you are!)
  2.  Hit the gym.  If you think you don't have time, make the time.  Gym work is important.  I sorted out a few workouts to do in the gym in order to support the demands of triathlon training.  
  3. I learned I can do it on my own but it's more fun to have company along the way. Friends and coaches provide support, accountability and sometimes a few laughs.
  4. I learned that not all coaches deliver the right messages the right way for my needs. 
  5. Likewise, I'm not the right coach for everyone.
  6. You have to have faith in your coach to guide you along the way but you also have to be aware enough to know when it's not working.
  7. Regardless of how you train, alone or in a group, who you train with, one of the best mantras is still to just get the job done.   For me, the hardest thing is to get started. I will finish once the first step has been taken.  
  8. Treat every workout like it's the most important one you have to do. 
  9. Train with purpose every session.  
  10. You have to fuel your body well and properly but there's nothing wrong with a little chocolate therapy along the way.
How can I help you?  I have some experience and some skills that I've picked up over the years that you might be able to benefit from.  If you have a question you want me to try to answer, just ask!!

No comments:

Post a Comment