Thursday, November 14, 2019

I Was An Accidental Triathlete - How It All Started

When I first started training for triathlons, I honestly didn't even realize that's what I was doing.  I had some friends I had been running with who started swimming a few mornings a week and they asked if I wanted to join them.  I had swum a little as a kid, having spent two years on a summer swim team when I was 10 and 11 years old so I was pretty confident I wouldn't drown.  Again, being honest, the biggest reason I decided to join them was just because they asked.  Cycling happened pretty much the same way.  Spring and summer rolled around and they started riding road bikes around town.  One of the members of the groups got a new bike so they asked me if I wanted to hop on the spare bike and join them on a ride.  I literally went along for the ride.  Within 6 months, I went from running with a few friends to swimming, biking and running with them.  As you sometimes do when the opportunity presents itself, err on the side of saying "yes".  That's how I became an accidental triathlete.
All I had done myself was add some swimming and biking to my run routine without really giving it a thought. Then, someone else in the group signed up for a triathlon.   That's when I realized what we'd been doing. Without giving it a conscious intent or plan of my own, I was training for a triathlon.  My training program at the time was a spontaneous thing just evolved from doing stuff with my friends. Not only did my accidental program work well enough to get me through my first year in triathlon but it could also be a simple example of another DIY Triathlon Training Plan.

My Very First DIY Triathlon Training Plan, circa 1993

As we started to train with others, we did different workouts but there was no overriding training program or plan.  We were just doing it for fun and challenge.   Now, don't get me wrong - some of the crew had a pretty serious approach to racing:  they were there to win.   And since I was quite literally along for the ride, I guess I was as prepared as they were so I went as hard as I could.  Man, it was fun!  If challenge and fun are what you are looking for in triathlon, maybe a plan like my first DIY Triathlon Training Plan can work for you.  Here's pretty much what it looked like:
My basic training week now vs then has one thing in common:
  • If I had hired a coach then or if I took one on now, other than fine-tuning the content of some of the workouts, there's not much they could do differently. Once you put real life on a calendar and try to fit the rest around it, the training options are limited.

Sometimes, all you have to do is say "Yes" and jump in to get started.  What does your plan look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment